School admissions window open for primary and secondary school places
Originally published by Trevor Carbin Liberal Democrat
Wiltshire residents can now apply for primary and secondary school places for September 2022 entry, for children starting school for the first time or for children who are moving from a primary to secondary school or from an infant to junior school.
Applications can be submitted online at www.wiltshire.gov.uk until the national deadline dates of 31 October 2021 for secondary schools and 15 January 2022 for primary schools and infant to junior transfer.
The National Offer Days for school places from applications received before the published deadlines are 1 March 2022 for secondary and 19 April 2022 for primary and junior places. Applicants will be able to log back into the online system on the National Offer Day to view the outcome of their application.
Applications can also be submitted using a paper form which can be obtained from Wiltshire Council's Customer Services Team on 01225 713010, or downloaded from the website www.wiltshire.gov.uk. Those who apply using the paper application will be sent a letter confirming the outcome of their application, but information will not be available on the National Offer Day.
Wiltshire Council has listed 10 tips to make the process easy:
- Apply online. You will receive immediate email confirmation that your application has been received and on National Offer Day you can log back into the system to view the outcome of your application.
- The person completing the application must have parental responsibility for the child.
- You can apply for up to three schools. Please put these in your order of preference.
- Naming additional preferences will not reduce your chances of securing a place for your child at your first preference school. Repeating your first preference school in the second and third preference boxes on the application does not improve your child's chance of securing a place at your preferred school. This will however result in wasting your preferences as a school can only be considered once on each application.
- If you live in Wiltshire and want to apply for a school place outside the county, you must still make your application to Wiltshire Council.
- If you do not live in Wiltshire and want to apply for a Wiltshire school, you must make an application to your own local authority. The only exception to this are applications from children of UK service personnel.
- If you wish to find out more about the schools you are looking at, contact each school directly.
- Although there is no guarantee an offer of a school place even if you live in the schools designated area, you're recommended to name your designated school as one of your preferences.
- Visit the Wiltshire Council website to find out the designated school for your home address.
- You can make a late application online even if the deadline for the intake round has already passed but you are less likely to secure a place at one of your preferred schools.
For more information visit the school admissions pages on www.wiltshire.gov.uk