Lib Dem News Update - 12June 2020
PM must not jeopardise economic recovery with threat of no-deal
This morning, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) statistics showed the UK's economy shrank by 20.4% in April.
- We face the most serious economic challenge in generations. This is not a time to exit the world's largest market. This is not a time to increase trade barriers. This is not a time to deny business skills they need with a damaging new immigration system.
- We can create jobs and protect the environment by investing in new, green technologies but we need imaginative new policies and strong political leadership. The Liberal Democrats will continue to make the case for a Green Recovery Plan and policies that back responsible businesses.
- The Prime Minister should not be putting Britain's chances for an economic recovery in jeopardy by insisting on an arbitrary Brexit transition deadline and risking a devastating no-deal.
Yet more dishonesty from the Govt on test and trace system
It was reported yesterday that the Health Secretary has been misleading about the number of contacts that have been traced using the governments test and trace system.
- This is yet more obfuscation from the Health Secretary on the testing and tracing system. In normal times this kind of dishonesty from the government is extremely problematic, during a pandemic it is dangerous.
- If people do not trust the government they are less likely to have faith in a test and trace system and less likely to follow guidelines, people want clarity and honesty from Ministers.
- Without a comprehensive test, trace and isolate system it is almost impossible to keep people safe as we move out of lockdown. Ministers have failed to make this happen and apparently won't be able to until September.