Christie Miller killed off
By Your WC
WC has announced that the Melksham sports centre is to close. As with other closures of public facilities they're using maintenance costs as an excuse. Here's what your WC says about the loss of yet another service:
"The closure of Christie Miller Sports Centre has always been planned as part of the overall scheme of investment in the town and the provision of a new community campus at the Melksham House site. A recent inspection of facilities at the sports centre and the adjacent Highways Depot has confirmed that significant investment of up to £1m over the next three years - with an immediate investment of £350,000 - is required to enable the building to continue to operate and ensure the safety of both staff and centre users and visitors.
Cabinet member for campuses John Thomson said: "The cost to maintain the centre and the risks associated to ensure that it is fit for purpose for public use has led to this difficult decision to close the centre prior to the new one being available. The cost to continue with this centre is prohibitive and any investment would have a detrimental impact on the new centre and its facilities as the cost would have to be met from the budget allocated for the new campus.
"While we recognise that this will be inconvenient to users, we are making every effort with Places for People, who run this facility on our behalf, to look at alternative provision in other nearby centres.
"We have always been open that the centre would have to close if it became unsafe and required major investment. Unfortunately, that is now the case and we have no option other than to close."
Places for People, who operate the sports centre on behalf of the council, have agreed that the building should close on 19 October 2018 and that alternative
facilities for members and clubs that use the centre will not be provided except where possible.
- The closure was confirmed at the Melksham Area Board meeting yesterday (5 September)
- All staff employed by Places for People will be offered the option of redeployment at other centres.
- Memberships will be transferred to Melksham Blue Pool and adult premium members can also use facilities at any Wiltshire Council sites
- Clubs will be not be relocated to other centres except where possible
- The Indoor Bowls Club will continue to receive support from the council and £150k has been allocated as part of the campus budget to assist with a new facility.